The BEST tomato soup recipe! It is wealthy, flavorful, and made with pantry substances. Pair it with a grilled cheese for a scrumptious, comforting meal!
Do-it-yourself tomato soup is sort of a hug in a bowl, which, when the climate is as grey because it has been right here currently, is precisely what I want.
This tomato soup recipe is a chilly climate staple in our home. It couldn’t be less complicated to make, and the substances are largely pantry fundamentals that I all the time maintain available. However extra importantly, this tomato soup is creamy, comforting, and stuffed with wealthy taste. The tomatoes make it tangy, balsamic vinegar provides sweetness, and purple pepper flakes give it a warming kick of warmth. You can serve it by itself, topped with a swirl of olive oil, black pepper, and recent basil leaves…or you possibly can pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich. Should you’re craving cozy consolation meals as a lot as I’ve been lately, I positively vote for the latter.
Tomato Soup Recipe Components
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this home made tomato soup recipe:
- Tomatoes, after all! Canned diced tomatoes, to be precise. Should you’d desire to make a tomato soup recipe that requires recent tomatoes, try this tomato basil soup recipe as an alternative.
- Olive oil and butter – They create the soup’s wealthy base. To make this recipe dairy-free, be happy to make use of extra olive oil as an alternative of the butter.
- Carrots, onion, and garlic – These fragrant veggies give the soup savory depth of taste.
- Balsamic vinegar – It provides sweetness and tang.
- Vegetable broth – Use store-bought, or make your individual. Water works right here too!
- Full-fat coconut milk or heavy cream – Actually, each are improbable! They make the soup equally creamy. Should you go the dairy-free route, I promise, you gained’t style the coconut one bit!
- Dried thyme – For heat, earthy taste.
- Pink pepper flakes – For warmth.
- Recent basil leaves – You may’t beat the mixture of tomatoes and basil! I bathe the basil over the soup so as to add bursts of recent taste.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Learn how to Make Tomato Soup
This home made tomato soup recipe is so easy to make! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, sauté the veggies. Soften the butter in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth, and add the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and a pinch of salt, and cook dinner, stirring sometimes, till the veggies soften, about 8 minutes.
Stir within the vinegar.
Subsequent, add the remaining substances and simmer. Add the canned tomatoes, water, coconut milk or heavy cream, thyme, purple pepper flakes, salt, and several other grinds of pepper. Simmer, stirring sometimes, till the carrots are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Then, mix a part of the soup. This step makes it sooo creamy! Scoop 4 cups of the soup out of the pot and put aside. Switch the remaining soup to a blender, and mix till easy. Should you like, you possibly can use an immersion blender for this step, although I desire the smoother texture I get after I use my upright blender. Return the pureed soup to the pot, together with the 4 cups of chunky soup. Stir to mix.
Lastly, season to style and serve. That’s it!
Do-it-yourself Tomato Soup Serving Ideas
While you’re able to eat, high your bowl with a swirl of olive oil, a drizzle of coconut milk or heavy cream, a lot of recent black pepper, and recent basil. Benefit from the soup with a aspect of crusty bread, or high it with home made croutons for crunch. And naturally, you may’t beat pairing it with a grilled cheese sandwich.
Leftovers maintain properly for as much as 4 days in an hermetic container within the fridge. For longer storage, freeze the tomato soup for as much as 3 months!
Extra Favourite Soup Recipes
Should you love this tomato soup recipe, attempt certainly one of these home made soups subsequent:
Our favourite tomato soup recipe! Made with pantry staples, this easy home made tomato soup is creamy, wealthy, and flavorful. Serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich for a scrumptious, comforting meal!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, or an extra 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 (24-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1⅓ cups full-fat coconut milk or heavy cream, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon purple pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra to style
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Recent basil leaves, for garnish
Warmth the olive oil and butter in a big pot over medium warmth. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and a pinch of salt and cook dinner, stirring sometimes, for 8 minutes, or till softened.
Stir within the vinegar, then add the tomatoes, water, coconut milk, thyme, purple pepper flakes, salt, and several other grinds of pepper. Simmer, stirring sometimes, for 20 to 25 minutes, or till the carrots are tender.
Scoop 4 cups of the soup out of the pot and put aside. Switch the remaining soup to a blender. Puree till easy. Return the pureed soup to the pot with the reserved 4 cups of chunky soup. Stir to mix and season to style.
Ladle into bowls and serve with a drizzle of coconut milk, a drizzle of olive oil, freshly floor black pepper, and recent basil leaves for garnish.