Hopping John Soup has black-eyed peas, ham, and collard greens, and that is my favourite dish to make for luck within the New 12 months!
For years I’ve been making this tasty Hopping John Soup for good luck within the New 12 months, and should you’re prepared to eat a number of carbs to get good luck, I extremely suggest this soup! It has all of the luck-bringing properties of the standard dish of Hopping John that’s made on New 12 months’s Day, however go forward and make it early if you wish to get began on the luck.
If you happen to’re not aware of Hopping John, it’s eaten all through the southern U.S. on New 12 months’s Eve or New 12 months’s Day. The origin of the identify is unsure, nevertheless it’s thought to have come from the Creole French pronunciation of the pigeon peas used within the dish.
I took the Hopping John components of black-eyed peas, ham, and collard greens and turned them right into a soup a number of years in the past, and the recipe has been one thing I’ve made for New 12 months’s luck ever since, and I’m choosing it as my Friday Favorites choose for the final Friday of 2022 in hopes you’ll make it and get some good fortunate; Completely happy New 12 months everybody!
What components do you want for this recipe?
What’s the symbolism of the Hopping John components?
Recipe variations for Hopping John abound, however all include ham, black eyed peas, and collard greens, the peas representing cash and the collard greens representing greenback payments for monetary luck within the new yr.
What are Black-Eyed Peas?
Black-Eyed peas are legumes which might be grown around the globe. Right here’s extra about this tasty ingredient which might be typically known as Black-Eyed Beans. In america they’re typically made right into a southern dish known as Hopping John.
How will you make Hopping John Soup decrease in carbs?
If you would like good luck however don’t need so many carbs, you may positively make this soup with extra ham and collards and fewer black-eyed peas.
Need extra concepts for Black-Eyed Peas?
Try all of the Fortunate Black-Eyed Peas Recipes on the weblog if you wish to get much more good luck! Or try Sluggish Cooker and On the spot Pot Black-Eyed Peas Recipes on my Sluggish Cooker or Strain Cooker web site for extra fortunate meals concepts to have fun the brand new yr!
Learn how to Make Hopping John Soup:
(Scroll down for full printable recipe with dietary info.)
- Chop the onions and celery and prepare dinner them simply till they begin to soften, including garlic the previous couple of minutes. Whereas the onions prepare dinner, chop the ham. (If you happen to ham has a rind, reserve it so as to add to the soup for extra taste.)
- After onions/celery/garlic combination is completed, add the chopped ham and saute over very low warmth for about 10 minutes.
- In a big soup pot, add the ham/onion/celery/garlic combination, rooster inventory (or in case you have Selfmade Ham Inventory I might positively use that for this recipe), black-eyed peas, dried thyme, and ham rinds in case you have them. Let this prepare dinner at a low simmer for about an hour. (These photographs are a double batch of soup.)
- Whereas the soup simmers, reduce away the thick internal rib of the collard greens, then coarsely chop the greens.
- After soup has simmered for one hour, style for taste, including some ham taste base (affiliate hyperlink) if wanted and including a little bit water if the soup appears too thick.
- Add chopped collard greens to the soup and let simmer for about one hour extra. When the black-eyed peas are as delicate as you’d like, take away the ham rind after which use an immersion blender to partially puree the soup, being cautious to not overdo it in order for you a soup with some chunkiness to it.
- Add the pink pepper flakes and vinegar and simmer 10 minutes extra (or longer; I typically prepare dinner it an hour or so longer at this level.)
- Serve scorching and benefit from the good luck!
Extra Black-Eyed Peas for New 12 months’s:
- 1 small onion, chopped in pretty small items
- 1 cup celery, chopped in pretty small items
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 cups diced ham (reduce off the ham rind and save; you will get by with a bit much less ham if wanted)
- 8 cups home made rooster inventory (see notes)
- 2 16 oz. packages frozen black-eyed peas (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bunch recent collard greens, chopped (see notes)
- pinch pink pepper flakes (elective)
- 1 T apple cider vinegar, or extra to style
- Non-compulsory: ham taste base
- In massive frying pan, saute onion and celery in olive oil about 5 minutes, till beginning to soften. Add garlic and prepare dinner about 2 minutes extra.
- Then add ham and saute over very low warmth 10 minutes. (Do not skip this step, which concentrates the ham taste into the greens.)
- Switch combination to massive soup pot, add rooster inventory, black eyed peas, dried thyme, and ham rinds if accessible, and prepare dinner at very low simmer for one hour.
- After soup has cooked one hour, style for flavoring. Add extra water and ham taste base if wanted. (It can rely in your ham, however I often add a tiny bit. I added about 2 cups extra water to the soup at this level.)
- Add chopped collard greens, stir into soup and simmer one hour extra, or till black-eyed peas are fairly delicate.
- When black-eyed peas are as delicate as you need them, take away items of ham rind, then use an immersion blender, meals processor, or hand masher to partially course of about half the soup. You need a combination of damaged and unbroken black-eyes peas, with some thickening of the soup from the pureeing course of. Watch out to not over course of.
- Add pink pepper flakes and vinegar and simmer 10 minutes extra (or longer, I typically prepare dinner as a lot as an hour extra at this level.)
- Serve scorching.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 342Whole Fats: 9gSaturated Fats: 2gUnsaturated Fats: 5gLdl cholesterol: 50mgSodium: 1023mgCarbohydrates: 28.5gFiber: 9gSugar: 9gProtein: 31g
Diet info is mechanically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Weight loss program / Low-Glycemic Weight loss program / South Seaside Weight loss program Strategies:
Black-eyed peas are usually not low in carbs, however if you wish to scale back the carb rely for the soup use extra ham, celery, and collard greens in proportion to the opposite components. Nevertheless, even with that lower-carb model should you’re strictly limiting carbs you’ll need to miss out on the black-eyed pea luck! This Hopping John Soup can be permitted for any section of the South Seaside Weight loss program, however restrict serving sizes for section one.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Soup Recipes to search out extra recipes like this one. Use the Weight loss program Kind Index to search out extra recipes appropriate for a selected consuming plan. You may also prefer to observe Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the great recipes I’m sharing there.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Companies LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a method for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.