This Ham and Cheese Au Gratin Potato Bake is the proper winter consolation meals casserole. It’s creamy, tacky, hearty, with such a superb mixture of flavors. When you love ham with cheese, broccoli with cheese, and potatoes with cheese, you’re positively going to like all of them collectively! The cheese sauce is tremendous wealthy, thick, and creamy with nice taste. You’ll by no means consider that is lightened up! A serving of this tasty selfmade casserole is simply 279 energy or 9 WW Factors per serving. To trace this recipe within the WW app or web site, click on right here!
I got here up with this Ham and Cheese Au Gratin Potato Bake once I was craving scalloped or au gratin potatoes however I wished to make it into an entire meal. I added some ham for protein and a few broccoli for a veggie and voila! Now it’s dinner. It turned out so tasty and my husband and I fought over the leftovers, so I’ll positively be including this to our meal rotation through the colder months. I’d say it’s nice for a weekend (or a weekday you’re working from residence) as a result of though it’s simple to make, it bakes for a bit over an hour. If you wish to save time at dinner you possibly can assemble the entire thing earlier within the day after which put it within the oven to bake once you’re prepared.
- Ham: I purchased already cubed ham for this (I used this type from Hormel), however you possibly can positively use leftover ham or reduce up a ham steak. When you make a ham dinner for Christmas or Easter, this can be a smart way to make use of the leftovers!
- Cheese: I feel Colby Jack tastes good on this recipe, however when you have bother discovering the two% milk model (I used Wegmans model), you possibly can positively substitute one other 2% milk cheese like cheddar or swiss.
- Potatoes: I used russet potatoes which is what I normally have readily available, however I’m certain Yukon Gold would additionally work nicely if that’s what you’ve gotten or choose.
- Timing: If you wish to save time at dinner you possibly can positively assemble the entire casserole earlier within the day after which put it within the oven to bake once you’re prepared to begin cooking dinner.
- Aspect Dish: I prefer to serve this recipe with a pleasant recent salad on the aspect! The leafy greens tossed in a light-weight French dressing are the proper stability for the wealthy flavors within the casserole.
On the lookout for extra tasty, lightened up recipes that includes potatoes? Take a look at my Taco Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes, Broccoli Cheddar Twice Baked Potatoes, Buffalo Hen Stuffed Candy Potatoes, Air Fryer Cajun Potatoes, Chili Cheese Stuffed Candy Potatoes, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Gradual Cooker Loaded Potato and Cauliflower Soup, Traditional Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked Potatoes, Sheet Pan Meatloaves with Roasted Potatoes and Inexperienced Beans, Cottage Pie, Rustic Sausage and Potato Skillet, Roasted Smashed Garlic Potatoes, Tacky Potluck Potatoes, and extra within the Potatoes class of my recipe index.
Ham and Cheese Au Gratin Potato Bake
This Ham and Cheese Au Gratin Potato Bake is a creamy, tacky consolation meals casserole!
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder, (resembling Colman’s within the yellow tin)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons gentle butter, (I exploit Land O’Lakes gentle butter unfold with canola oil)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 8 oz shredded 2% milk Colby Jack cheese, divided
- 2 lbs (32 oz) uncooked peeled Russet potatoes, sliced into ¼” thick rounds
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 8 oz diced or cubed cooked ham, (I used Hormel Premium boneless cubed ham)
Preheat the oven to 400 levels and mist a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
In a small dish, stir collectively the flour, salt, dry mustard, onion powder, and pepper.
Place the butter in a medium saucepan and convey over med-low warmth. When the butter is melted, add the flour combination and stir collectively till the butter and flour are mixed right into a paste. Prepare dinner that for a minute after which slowly whisk within the milk a bit at a time till mixed right into a clean liquid. Enhance the warmth to medium-high and prepare dinner, whisking semi-regularly, for a couple of minutes till it begins to bubble and thicken. Add 6 ounces of the shredded cheese and whisk it into the combination till absolutely melted. Take away from warmth however cowl to maintain heat.
Unfold/layer half of the potato slices throughout the underside of the baking dish. Sprinkle a little bit of salt and pepper over the potatoes after which unfold half of the broccoli florets evenly throughout and observe with the cubed ham. Pour half of the cheese sauce (about 1 ½ cups) evenly excessive of the layered components. Place the remaining potato slices evenly throughout the dish on high of the cheese sauce layer and sprinkle with a bit extra salt and pepper. Add the remaining broccoli and ham throughout the floor of the potatoes. Pour the remaining cheese sauce excessive of the casserole, protecting the components.
Cowl the baking dish with aluminum foil and switch to the heated oven. Bake for 60 minutes after which take away the foil and examine the potato doneness with a fork (ought to sink in). Sprinkle the remaining 2 ounces of cheese excessive of the casserole and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes till the cheese is golden and the casserole is bubbly. Let the casserole relaxation for quarter-hour so the sauce will thicken earlier than slicing.
9 per (1/8th of the pan) serving (WW Factors calculated utilizing the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
To trace your WW Factors for this recipe within the WW app or web site, click on right here!
Vitamin Info per (1/8th of the pan) serving:
279 energy, 30 g carbs, 5 g sugars, 10 g fats, 5 g saturated fats, 19 g protein, 2 g fiber, 664 mg sodium (from myfitnesspal.com)
Weight Watchers Factors Plus:
7 per (1/8th of the pan) serving (PP calculated utilizing a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the vitamin information above)